Friday, February 5, 2010

February 5, 2010 Good Stuff

I finally have new tires on my car. I can't tell you how good of a thing this is really. And they cost me about half of what I was expecting, which is also a good thing. I have bad anxiety at times. Though I don't show it...I keep it inside. But my back two tires were pretty much dry rotted and my front two tires had like no treads left (did I mention I also procrastinate :/) So for the last couple of weeks I have just been constantly convinced that all four of my tires were going to blow out. Now I know they won't :p Phew!

While I was at the tire place, this little boy, probably about 6 years old, came and sat next next to me and asked me if I liked his toy truck. I told him it was a really cool truck. He then asked me if I wanted a sip of his chocolate shake, which I politely declined. Next question was what was I reading? I told him it was a really cool book called The Ask and the Answer. He said "oh!" He then ran to his mom and said "mommy, can I get a book called The Ass and the Anso" He put the biggest smile on my face. I have no idea why random kids like to come talk to me, but it always makes me happy :) Is it that easy to read that I'm still just a giant kid myself?

Best thing about today...I didn't work! Well, I had a session with a client but I really enjoy my private practice and don't really consider that work. Even though the money is better than my 40 hr/week job. That session went totally awesome and ended like this:

Me: S, you've done really awesome so far and you should be proud of how far you've come..I'm proud of you.

S: I couldn't have done it without you, thanks Chris.

Me: You should congratulate yourself, you're the one doing all the work! But thanks and you're welcome.

S: Well, you're kind of like my anchor.

It's stuff like that that makes me love my job so much. I would honestly see many of my private practice clients, like this guy, for free if I had to. I think I get just as much out of it as he does.

5 comments:

  1. I am very glad you have the new tires and feel safe again!!

    listening to your client I would just say: I really do wish you were my son! (or even grandson...gag..oh man that one hurt to say!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post makes me very happy. I'm glad you're safe (were we driving around on those tires when I was in town?? I'm glad you didn't tell me then!). I love the kid story. I love that you had a good work day. :D Happy stuff all around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, Chris, this post just left me teary-eyed. I know how lucky your clients are to have you. And what a smile it puts on my face that you feel you're lucky to have them, too. But isn't that the way life so often works...you think you're helping someone else, and it turns out that you gain far more than you ever could have guessed. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound like a very rewarding career, Chris. :)

    Glad to hear about the new tires. I had to get some at the beginning of the winter, so I know what that is like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for you, making a difference! What is your private practice? Counseling? Psychiatry?

    ReplyDelete