Tuesday, January 12, 2010

January 12, 2010 Good Stuff

*Today I'm in love with biofeedback. #nerd. One thing I love about this exercise of noticing the positive in life is that it's starting to become an unconscious thing for me. And on only the 12th day. Tonight was hell at work. Pure hell. Very interesting patients. I love my patients, but I hate the beurocratic bullshit at that place. I realized all of a sudden tonight that I was just exhausted. My back hurt, my feet hurt, I was getting aggravated, so I just stopped for a second and listened to what my body was telling me. I sat down in my chair and put my feet up on my desk and closed my eyes for five minutes and just let my muscles relax. And after five minutes I felt so much better.

*The people that I work with. And by that I mean the people I serve, not my coworkers. I know that other people's mental illnesses should not be one of my "good things" but the truth is, it fascinates me how our brains work. Particularly with the people who come into our trauma program. I've been forming more and more of an interest in working with survivors of physical, sexual and emotional trauma in my own private practice. The cases are very sad, but at the same time, it's amazing what the brain is capable of doing to help us deal with these issues.

*Caffeine. I love my coffee so much, but sometimes I'm just especially fond of it's natural active ingredient.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, and i hope you got some sleep last night. I'm sure part of the exhaustion might have been the Blankets thing. :D Even if it WAS worth it to stay up. (I know, I know, I do the exact same thing)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's my son! (well.. sorta heh)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly think it's really interesting that your patients are 'fascinating' - I've been reading a bio of Florence Nightingale, and she was the same way: on the one hand, she was very empathetic, very concerned fo rthe sufferings of the people she was responsible for, on the other, she would rush to see an 'interesting surgery' in the wards, if one was happening, just because she was fascinated. I think fascination is part of enquiry, and enquiry is part of care, it's not morbid at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love caffeine, too. And . . . what Debi said.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My coffee is a bad batch. *cries* I make my own at home and it doesn't even smell right. It's like they ran out of beans, so they put a different type in to make up for it. This is the second time that has happened. I might have to find another kind I like...

    ReplyDelete